Sunday, January 30, 2011

Beach Bums?

Looking back through our pictures I was reminded of this cool little bar Marilyn and I went to on our last night in Krabi town named FU Bar II. It had a very chill vibe which wasn’t surprising as it had the reggae beats pumping. The bar itself seeded to be build out of drift wood and had plants and art work everywhere, a very rustic feel. We grabbed some beers and headed for a section of the bar that had these little tables and mats so you would sit on the floor. Each table had different games or puzzles to play with. We played some jenga which was followed by a few rounds of connect 4. Marilyn prevailed in the best of 3 series in connect 4 and may or may not have been the one to toppled the jenga tower…it was at level 30 so we were both winners in my books.



We have spent the last few days in the little tourist beach town of Ao Nang. We managed to quickly snag a guest house as we were all keen to hit the beach. The main beach is only a 5 minute walk down the main street. On the short walk you pass all the shops, selling their knock off ray ban sunglasses and quick silver surf shorts, as well as many restaurants and other guest houses. The main beach is nice enough but there are lot of boats always coming and going and quite a few people around. The water is amazing and feels like bath water! After working on our tans, aka getting burnt, we headed back to our room. We were quite tired from the sun so we had a pretty low key evening. Upon waking up in the morning my travel companions were certain we wouldn’t be staying another night in that guest house. Although the sink leaked, there was a hole in the ceiling, the beds bent your spine, and the widow had been blacked out as it faced a brick wall less then a foot away… but I’m grouchy and lazy in the morning and didn’t feel a move was necessary. Yet as I type this from the comfort of our new room I assure you how wrong I was!



Rob had spotted a path at the end of the lagoon the previous day so we decided we would go for a hike and see where it led. Before you got on the path you had to go over a little boardwalk where all these wild monkeys would come because people would feed them and take pictures. Although they were cute I won’t be letting wild monkeys climb all over me… I guess most people didn’t get that memo. The path was a relatively short but steep path up, over, and down a lime stone bluff to a beautiful beach that had a few luxury hotels located on it. This was a much more isolated as anyone staying there would have had to take a boat or hike a jungle path to reach this area.





The next morning we loaded up with food and water and hit the jungle path to have some white sand and clear blue water to ourselves. We swam, sunbathed, built some sand bike trails, and swam some more. Just as we were getting ready to leave the storm clouds rolled in so we quickly hid our stuff under some over hanging rocks and headed for the water as the rain began to fall. Swimming in the rain is amazing and even better when the water warm. It just poured and we were in the water for about half an hour just playing around. Me being an idiot though it would be funny to go skinny dipping, while I was swimming around Rob managed to get my shorts without me noticing… needles to say when I went to grab them I was thinking “oh shit, how am I gonna get my towel” after letting me search frantically for a few minute Rob started laughing and tossed the shorts in my direction. Phew!



We took it easy today since we are all burnt as, and Rob has got the traveling shit’s. The plan is to head to a new beach tomorrow but we will have to wait to see how Rob feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter